RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Many Builders Are Left?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How Many Builders Are Left?

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet
Interesting words and effectively said.

There's probably super talent, building talent that is, which will never be expressed or developed, let alone the attempt.
No one really cares. That's what I don't understand?

I like the challange of building. Even if I hardly ever get a model completed.

I remember a Club meeting some years ago. I brought my bashed Paige Gee Bee Z. It was built but just framed, no covering or paint. I really did a number on Adrian's kit in that now the model is 95% scale.

I had some interest going in the 55'' model, some, till a guy walked in with an ''assembled'' 25% Extra 300 ARF 3D type, glowing with the, already applied, bright red iron-on covering.
I lost the whole crowd, to an ''out of the box model'' that anyone could buy.

One guy, admired my efforts.
Here's the model!
I checked back in the thread. The topic has brought out a lot of old favorites. I saw your Gee Bee Z. I always wanted one of those from as soon as Adrien brought them out. That must be 13 years ago now. I talked with him. There were none available that day or given my compulsive nature I would have bought one. The first engine he displayed in one was a photograph of a 985P&W straight on. It looked like a perfect fabrication in the picture. I have been looking fo a jpeg for that ever since but it's the straight on aspect I have never found. It was most effective. I see his kit has a formed engine now. That must be an OS 80 rear intake in yours??? I have one that was belonged to Bud Nosen. He brought it to an Ontario show. It then went into a 1/5th Pica UMF before I totally rebuilt it. I hasn't been run since. It was my intention to put it into a 1/3 S2-A. The one Andy Sheber designed built and flew with a Fox .78. Andy couldn't locate an OS. They were the biggest engine in '72 and new then. The last Sheber 33% S2-A I saw had a 3W106B2 in it and weighed 28 lbs. Andy's was just under 18. It's curious how giant scale models flew with .60's when that was all there was. Building light and flying scale were very important then. Now they are weighed and the biggest possible engines are shoehorned in. Works well in many cases.

I go to a 40 year running scale event every year where most handbuilt scale models take more of a back seat to the ARF monoplanes that all look the same as they serve the same need. Flying like helicopters. This show was dominated by truly fantastic scale models up till 15 years ago. There are still several outstanding builders attending but I don't see the cross section getting any younger.

I feel for you at that meeting. One out of a room. Sounds about right.

I left one club because at one meeting I asked if anyone would mind if I flew control-line if their was no one else flying. One drunk yelled out "Get your own field". I removed a well thought tirade least I get a cross burnt on my lawn.

I cannot get over control line. Have may C/L models. They hang nice and close to walls. Biggest is a 63" Ringmaster waiting for final assembly and covering. Control line provided me with the fondest modelling memories of my life as a youth. The big RM was scratch built. 150% of a .35 size. I have two Ares I-Beamers to assemble and a Nobler kit. Very heady models. I just love to build and cut wood. They will all be finished whenever. I do it my way.

It seems like so many don't care on the level that we may. Maybe they can't appreciate what they haven't experienced. I hang on too tight. There is a group of serious Control-liners three hours away that would have me. Long drive on a Wednesday night to turn a few circles. There a hundred thousand people closer than Toronto and I'm the only one who has actively sought others closer to fly with. RC, FF, indoor, rubber and plastic also vie for my attention. Ritalin, need Ritalin.

Hang onto your dreams.