RCU Forums - View Single Post - IS ASP 52A 2 STROKE GOOD?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IS ASP 52A 2 STROKE GOOD?

ORIGINAL: Montague

No offense, Josh, but if your experience with those engines is limited to one sample, I'd say you're jumping the gun a bit. ''Never'' and ''Always'' seem a bit strong.
Yep, I bought Magnum a few times and more often than not, it was a headache. So eventually after many samplings I came to the same conclusion and wished I ditched it fast and smart as Josh did. Glutton for punishment is repeating the same mistake again and again, so that's bad advice, don't walk away from ASP, run. The needle valve/carb issues never were remedied. My "fix" was to use OS needle valves and then it tuned like an OS.
I vote for OS, the AX 46 (Again, I sampled dozens) have never let me down, has snappy throttle response over my FX series which are now discontinued (again many samples with excellent results). I hear liner issues existed on this forum but didn't see it from my engines.
The old SF series from the mid 1980s had liner issues though. I think 30 years later we're safe from that glitch.
AX is reliable, VERY user friendly, consistent quality and worth every dime. Do you rather play engine mechanic at the flying field troubleshooting problems, or fly?
Moving the fuel line will be probably coincidence and then a new temperamental running problem will come back again, as it did for me.

By the way, I actually persevere and always enjoy Super Tigre engines. So if I don't like Magnum, imagine how low on the scale it is with people who can't handle Super Tigre and I do?
50/50 Magnum is going to give you trouble.
Use low nitro on Super Tigre, run a larger than "OS" prop, and they're fine.

Magnum not only has fuel delivery issues (needle valve related), but vacuum leaks more than a Hoover!