RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4ghz metal on metal interference
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4ghz metal on metal interference

As a matter of fact the opportunity for metal to metal RFI noise on 2.4GHz is zero .
At that frequency the energy level is nil .

I was looking for a quote from Paul Beard to that effect but, while I have it filed away, I cannot put my
hands on the exact wording at this moment .

The metal to metal noise did not become a factor until we went digital in the mid sixties -late 1963 -1964 on.

The 27 MHz band was totally immune to metal to metal RFI which is why it came as a shock to us with the advent of digital Propo.
We had glitches (the real kind not the minor stuff people call glitches today) and it took about a year before that was worked out.
Initially it was thought to be the slide switches and many of us went to shorting plugs to eliminate that.
Slowly we realized the cause and that was corrected. It didn't happen overnight however and many of us hung on to our reed sets far longer than people today think.

The switch to Digital Propo was quite slow in actuality . Not the overnight sensation people today seem to think.
Reeds, in the hands of a good operator was quite competitive with the Propo sets .
The time required for a majority of fliers to have Digital Propo was about three years .

As with 2.4GHz it was a new learning process with new rules . Folks wish to label this the Mfgrs. fault but it was not .
The user had to catch up with the new positives of the system and learn to avoid the new negatives as well.
My memory is that it took roughly five years before most understood the new ground rules. Not dissimilar to the 2.4GHz learning process of today.