RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4ghz metal on metal interference
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 AM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4ghz metal on metal interference

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

27 MHZ is not immune to metal to metal RFI nor is 2.4 GHZ.
An AM digital propro set on 27 is very susceptible. I had one.
Switching to PPM-FM helped but PCM-FM nearly cured it.
The spread spectrum system on 2.7 GHZ is nearly immune but its still there.
SS like PCM systems require the received signal to match a code. Its unlikely metal to metal RFI will match that code.

Perhaps then you would like to discuss this with Paul Beard ?
I am quite serious.

While not verbatim it is his quote I referenced . If necessary I can paw through my files and come up with the verbatim quote.

Regarding your other remarks it may be 'possible' on bench set ups to create any number of non real world conditions . We both know of what I speak .
I am but one year younger than you. I have flown for 51 years .
In the years I spent on the tortured 27 MHZ band I never once saw, experienced or talked to anyone who had experienced metal to metal RFI .
Many of the top line Pattern ships I flew on the 27MHz band were designed with metal to metal connections on motor and both elevator and rudder.
The completely Magnificent and Majestic Taurus had both motor and elevator on metal to metal .
The elevator horn/joiner was raked 15 degrees forward for differential and was all metal .

Tell me the date you first saw a nylon quick link . I can tell you, it was after the birth of digital proportional .
Until that time we used wire bends or Du Bro quick links. Some other threaded steel links were pirated from typewriter repair locations .
At that time we made most of our own hardware as there was scant available any other way.

I will accept your points as "test bench possible" but nothing else .
At the field or in the air it didn't happen !

At your age you should well remember that . I would have said OUR ages but then I do remember .

That is why we were all caught flat-footed with the digital Propo vulnerability to metal to metal noise.
Remember now, this was many years before mufflers of any kind and the throttled RC engines we flew ALL had
metal to metal exhaust baffles . I can still see them vibrating as we did our power on pre-flights .

Park the degrees and get rational. IEEE does NOT answer all and we both know it .