RCU Forums - View Single Post - Solo Launch Technique
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 01:58 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo Launch Technique

A while back we had a thread going about how to launch your Quickie or Quarter 40 by yourself. I'm too lazy to try and find it.

My almost 9 year old son helped me with the first flight of the day with the F3D/30, and was eager to help, since he was getting to fly it on the buddy cord. I got to one mistake high and gave him control. He rolled left and pulled his first pylon style turn. Then I started hearing wimpers of "I'm not ready yet", but I calmed him down and he got his first good taste of a "go where you point it" plane.

After dinner, the lure of the next door neighbor's pool, and his girlfriend next door left me without a helper.

I've tried various solo launching techniques, but haven't ever been fully satisfied, until tonight. I'm sure other people have figured this particular technique out, but I thought I would share it for the folks who haven't.

Leave the airplane switch off and place the plane in the launch position.

Extend the transmitter antenna, and place the TX on the ground on the left side of the plane, behind or even with the tail, and turn on the TX.

Go around to the front of the plane, and turn the switch on.

Release the fuel clip, and start the engine.

Make your way around to the rear of the plane and clear your starting box, glow clip, etc.

Take the tail in your right hand.

Pick up the TX with your left hand, and bring it over to your right hand.

Set the sticks to positions known to work for a non-push launch. You will still be able to hold the plane with the fingers of your right hand.

Visually verify the control surface positions, and let 'er rip.

Now I can fly at the clubs without having to acquire a helper, and I can practice solo, without awkward feeling takeoffs.