RCU Forums - View Single Post - Solo Launch Technique
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 02:08 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo Launch Technique

Ed,

It's your control line speed days that cause you to get behind thy prop ASAP. Almost everybody that did CL speed for any length of time has seen props explode.

I'm the same way, be it on a plane or test stand. All taching, etc is done from behind the prop. Plus, you've got to get there to adjust the neddle anyway. I have a scar on my right hand where I reached over a 1/2A and the prop got me at the base of my thumb.

At the model fields, I get away from the danger zone. I'm sure people think I'm weird about it, but I've seen props embedded in too much stuff. And I've seen too many sport fliers not worry about the little nicks in their props.

The thing that makes me most nervous on the starting line is four props ready and willing to come apart.

At the FBO I used to fly Cherokee 140's at, they parked one beside the building. Even if I was engrossed in a conversation in the gathering area, when I saw someone pre-flighting the plane, I would change my position, go get get a drink and a snack, go inside, or whatever, so that I could put something between me and the prop line or forward of the prop line.

Rick,

The nice thing about the way I'm doing it now is that you can pre-set the right rudder, but being left handed, you can probably get on the rudder pretty fast.