RCU Forums - View Single Post - Have you been through Different Engine Periods?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 PM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have you been through Different Engine Periods?

I've gone through several different phases throughout my modelling career, not just on Engines, but also for the types of models that grabbed my interested at the time.

Engine wise i've been through several phases a couple of times each.

2-stroke, 4-stroke, exotics such as Enya's and Webra's or Run-of-the-mill such as OS or Saito, and then there's the dark side (Electric).

I have a limited time/budget/space/permission for models so I keep my fleet culled down to what i am actually using which means I buy and sell a lot of engines on a whim.

I seem to always end up back with the mid range 4-strokes. These give me a level of reliability, consistency and ease of use i need when i can only afford a few hours at the flying field each month. OS used to be my preference, but all I have now is Saito .62 it's such a sweet little engine and much easier to live with than the OS .56a i owned in the past.

I am extremely curious by nature and am rarely satisfied by reading about a new engine. I have to try it for myself so on more than one occasion i have bought the engine with no airframe in mind and then spent weeks researching for a suitable model.

At the moment i'm in a but of a quandry. I need a new project to keep my mind and hands busy but don't know which way to turn. There's a bunch of new engines i want to play with like the OS .95V or 1.55a and I'd also like to try a DLE 20 gasser.

The issue i have is they all require largish models which i just don't have capacity for right now. Practicality is overtaking desirability so all my models are 32-46 size until the kids are old enough that i can take the baby seats out of the wagon and transport some larger models.