RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

I think moving the CG back (3/4"-1") was the single biggest improvement I made to the plane. Do that and landing gear issues will be history. Using the largest diameter prop that's practical will slow you down some on final (as well as your down lines), is an exelent plan, but nowhere near as effective as the CG move. If you haven't done it yet, a healthy dose of exponential on your elevator will really help ease any ballooning problems in the flair. Do that and the CG thing above and 3 point landings at a walking speed are easy....

Oh, and don't worry about any handling problems due to the CG move. They're non existent - until you get really stupid with the amount of control surface throws - but you're asking for it at that point.

Metal gear servos, tail brace wires, and high quality hinges are all very good ideas. Replacing the stock push rods using the solder on clevises are likely a good plan as well. Decide you don't want to go to the time/trouble/expense of these mods, and this is the airplane that will teach you maybe you should have... It's all right here if you want to take the time to read it. MANY planes destroyed learning these lessons - and many/most claim they have happened under 1/2 throttle.

Joe - Sheesh! All that trouble with the Saitos and you aren't considering gas for power? This is the PERFECT airframe for an introduction to gas. DLE 30, Syssa 30, G38, and Q42 are all good plans. All but the DLE are rear exhaust making for really simple installs.