RCU Forums - View Single Post - MY RCU Pet Peeve
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY RCU Pet Peeve

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Then the original wording was poor with what I thought was ''internet lingo'' which further added to the confusion.
You just brought up my overall pet peeve on the internet, period. "internet lingo" "cell phone shorthand" whatever it's called, including spelling where you don't even recognize the word, horrible grammar etc.. Especially when it's followed by "excuse my spelling, grammar, etc, Im to lazy to go back and re-read what I just wrote that hundreds of people will be seeing"
But don't get me started, my head would explode.

But back to this topic. I'm glad we have people like RCKen and Minnflyer on here. As an experienced RCer I have gotten many good ideas from them, even though I didn't ask the question.
As far as what is perceived as a dumb question, or ones that have been asked a million times. I was a helicopter pilot for over 40 years. My early career I flew by myself on the job. Later I worked where two pilots were required. As the captain of the aircraft, I had to work with very new inexperienced co-pilots. You can imagine some of the questions I got from new guys. (I won't use the term we called them. lol)
You can imagine how long my job would have lasted if I answered with, "It's in the flight manual dummy, look it up" or "Come on, didn't you learn anything in flight school?"
I was also a flight instructor in Airplanes for a while. And I can tell you I got great satisfaction when someone was having trouble understanding a maneuver or some aspect of flying and I was able to figure out what to show or tell them to get the light bulb turned on in their head.

Like many of you I also like to help people (new or experienced) understand or discover something about RC that they didn't know before.
True, in Aviation, part of the learning process is Learning how to Look things up, like FARs or Specs on the aircraft. But Looking up things in a flight manual and the FARs is a matter of learning how to do it. Those books have an order and an index, and you don't have to read the whole book to find a specific regulation. Forums have no order, no logic. Even after searching for the topic you have to look through hundreds of pages individually to find the answer to one question. So telling someone "look it up" without showing them where to look (if you even know), does no one any good.