RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lawsuit filed against AMA
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lawsuit filed against AMA

ORIGINAL: Syssa Aircraft

The part that is interesting is where the suit says Miller ''did not have much experience'' in flying model planes, and that the AMA ''was negligent when it allowed Mr. Miler to fly his aircraft near spectators.''

What gives with this??? How is the AMA supposed to know how good of pilot anyone is???

I guess you can say anything you want in a suit...and whether you win or not is a different story.
When one enters an AMA Sanctioned Contest, that one signs a form stating - in paraphrase - that he/she the pilot is qualified to perform all maneuvers required in that event, and that the aircraft being used is capable of said maneuvers.

QUOTED: RADIO CONTROL, GENERAL (FOR NONSCALE EVENTS)
2. Safety Declaration. At all sanctioned contests, each contestant shall sign an AMA Flight Safety Declaration (perhaps as part of an entry form), attesting to the fact that he/she has previously and is now capable of confidently performing the maneuvers comprising his competitive event. Furthermore, the contestant shall also similarly declare that any and all aircraft he/she uses in said competition have been test flown at least to the extent that they have performed the same competitive maneuvers and are therefore qualified to be flown in the contest and in the presence of fellow contestants, contest officials, and all others who may be in the flight area during the competition period.

Now, just my opinion, if a court finds there is fault of either or both the pilot's ability, and/or the aircraft's capability, then my experience leads me to believe the plaintiff may well have a good case against the pilot, the sponsors, and the land-owner, the AMA.