Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rx battery

K-Bob
exeter_acres
jester_s1
Gray Beard
scooterinvegas
shayne1983

Wow!  Apparently, my comments to a question on batteries by Dano garnered quite a response.  I too like 6.0v battery packs and have used them for many years.   Certainly the added servo speed and  torque are a bonus.  About 1-2 years ago I switched to the 6.0v NiMH 2000mah packs as I liked the greater capacity.   No agruement there with most of your comments.  

I decided to venture in my first gas engine recently and so I have been reading and participating in the thread,"New DLE 20cc gasser!".  Somewhat to my surprise, I found that a number of the experienced rc guys on this thread were very much for keeping the battery voltage down close to 6.0 volts.  In large part due to concerns about gas engine igintion problems. You all can speed-read some of this thread if you want to read some of the specific comments.  A few of the most recent start with Post #3768, but there is a lot of discussion going back to about page 35 or so of this thread.
One of the key vendors in this discussion is Valley View RC, whom sell the DLE gas engines. 

I guess, bottom line, I just decided to start putting the diodes on my battery packs to keep the max voltage nearer to 6.0 volts just to be safe.  I still get the extra speed and torque.  For a buck and a few minutes soldering, how can you lose.  I use a little electrial shrink wrap over the soldered diodes to protect the bare wire.  BarracudaHockey's definition of a diode was correct.  It only allows current to flow one way and simply steps down the voltage a bit. 

Use what ever voltage you are comfortable with.   I'm just picking out the essence of a lot comments on this subject.  I'm not so worried about the receiver as the servo's and ignition system.  The servo is a added heat thing and the gas electronic iginition systems apparently are more sensitive to higher voltages according to the guys with a lot more experience with them then me. 

Enjoy your building and flying.