RCU Forums - View Single Post - Twin Lizzie Build
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 AM
knucklebutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin Lizzie Build

Stan

The "On Board Glow" is really just a tool so you dont have to lug around and battery/clips or a rechargeable glow driver. You simply flip a switch and start your engine. Most on board unity are programed to glow within the first 1/4 of your throttle. Anything higher that than and it shuts off. It will give you a more reliable idle. However you really dont want it on all the time as this will drain you battery (you shouldn't have to have it on all the time. I utilize the idle glow on my 3 cylinder Saito, and Twin Cylinder O.S. 160. but all of my single cylinders its just to start then its off The units I posted about (Switch/Glow) do NOT have a separate battery but used the Rx battery. After spending about 1/2 hour yesterday tuning the engines (with the glow on most of that time) the voltage dropped to about 4 volts which made the glow units not work. This should not really be a problem in the future as the engines are now tuned, but certainly something I will monitor.

Actually thinking about it it might be a good thing as I will keep the glow on until I reach a safe altitude then turn it off. I wont turn it back on untill landing. Probably a good safeguard for a "engine out" on takeoff.

Denis