RCU Forums - View Single Post - rx battery
Thread: rx battery
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Jonde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rx battery

jester_s1

I did not mean to imply that, I tookyour comments as arguing, but thanks for your response. You are correct that the nominal voltage of a A123 battery is basically the same as from a 6.0 volt NiCd or NiMH battery pack. Only the chemistry is different. And, A123 battery packs are highly recommended for Rx packs in RC airplanes. I guess,I'm personally, just abit moreconcerned about going too much over 6.0 volts then most. So, ifsoldering in acouple of cheap diodes can keep the peak voltage nearer to 6.0 volts, I like the idea.A Zenner type diode like huck1199 mentioned or a 1805 fixed voltage diode for $1.79 at Radio Shack can be considered as while. Even though standard 6.0 volt battery packs have been used extensively there are a number of people on various RCU threads that have reported problems or preceived problelmswhen they went to fully charged 6.0v packs. No, I don't remember the specific names or post numbers, but the guys reporting this seemed serious enough tofindvariouswaysofreducing the peak voltage. I will admit that most of what was reported was not or could not necessarily be directly attributed to the higher voltage. One credible source from Valley Vier RC does rather strongly recommend not to use over 6.0 volts when using 6.0v batteries to power the iginition for DLE gas engines. I think theconcern was shortening the life of the iginition module. To my understanding, the Chinese manufacture concers.

Regards,