View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rx battery

ORIGINAL: Jonde

jester_s1

I did not mean to imply that, I took your comments as arguing, but thanks for your response. You are correct that the nominal voltage of a A123 battery is basically the same as from a 6.0 volt NiCd or NiMH battery pack. Only the chemistry is different. And, A123 battery packs are highly recommended for Rx packs in RC airplanes. I guess, I'm personally, just a bit more concerned about going too much over 6.0 volts then most. So, if soldering in a couple of cheap diodes can keep the peak voltage nearer to 6.0 volts, I like the idea. A Zenner type diode like huck1199 mentioned or a 1805 fixed voltage diode for $1.79 at Radio Shack can be considered as while. Even though standard 6.0 volt battery packs have been used extensively there are a number of people on various RCU threads that have reported problems or preceived problelms when they went to fully charged 6.0v packs. No, I don't remember the specific names or post numbers, but the guys reporting this seemed serious enough to find various ways of reducing the peak voltage. I will admit that most of what was reported was not or could not necessarily be directly attributed to the higher voltage. One credible source from Valley Vier RC does rather strongly recommend not to use over 6.0 volts when using 6.0v batteries to power the iginition for DLE gas engines. I think the concern was shortening the life of the iginition module. To my understanding, the Chinese manufacture concers.

Regards,

ok on the dle ignition i remember reading that that issue was fixed, now their is no benifit to useing 6v packs on the ignition anyways so why not just use a 4 cell pack to begin with? its cheaper and lighter
as for the servos and reciever, early on that was more of an issue. today its doesnt exist, (except for the servos not rated to 6v)
now if your just tinkering and having fun theirs nothing wrong with that, just understand that it is no safer and possible more dangerous if your diodes cant handle the current (im no expert but arnt diodes rated by voltage and mah they allow to pass through?) for example http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036269 (your diode) is only rated to 1 amp.....so what happens when your servos draw more than one amp? 1 single servo at stall draws about an amp, 600 mah ish in normal opperation.........just pointing that out, again im no electronics guy....just saying