RCU Forums - View Single Post - rx battery
Thread: rx battery
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Jonde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rx battery

jimmyjames213

Some of the guys seem to like a 6.0 volt pack, (receiver and/or ignition), because they are concerned about losing one cell in a 4 cell pack and having the resulting voltage drop below minimum operating requirments. If you lose one cell in 5 cell pack you still have ~ 4.8 volts. Smart? I don't know. I did lose a nice .60 size plane some years ago on it's second flight. It just quit responding to imputs. After the crash the only thing wrong other than one broken servo gear was I found one dead cell in my 4.8v NiCd battery pack. I'm assuming it was the battery failure as the servo was clearly due to impact damage. The battery was wrapped in heavy dense foam and still in it's compartment. ???

As for the 1 amp limit on the 1N4007 diode, you are correct that a major surge in current, (amps) could exceed the 1 amp. However, under normal operations we are talking current loads well under that to my understanding.A very complicated area of current measurement from what I have read on the subject. I guess the real answer to your caution is that if any servo or combination of servo's is pulling much over 1 amp for more that a very short periodit's going to result in an on-board electronics failure somewhere, diodes or no diodes!

Frankly speaking, it's hard to find real measured servo stall values. The manufactures tend to use "Peak stall torque values", which is when the shaft is prevented from turning. These values are reported to be 5-10 times higher than "Maximium continuous stall torque values". The latter being where the servo is at or near it's maximum torque due to high resistance, but still allowed to move a little at a very slow speed. Just what I've read, like you I'm not electronics expert.

Thanks for your comments. Good food for thought.