RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

Guys, these threads get very technically complicated and too emotional.
Fortunately the gyros issue is a lot simpler than that, and I will try to explain.

I will not discuss gyros for nose gear stabilization or for dutch roll dampening since that subject is well discussed and accepted.
I will only refer to gyros for ailerons.

Let me first say that up to a couple of months ago I was strongly against gyros for ailerons. I thought that using them was against the Macho man nature
Peter Goldsmith convinced me to try one when we met at Florida Jets this year.
I decided to try it, and this is my finding:

I was expecting Help from the gyro during the flight, like correcting or avoiding mistakes or flaws. But it just didn't happen that way.
What a properly adjusted aileron gyro does, is to allow the pilot to be able now to ''see'' and ''feel'' the beauty of his own flight. Honestly, that is a sensation that I don't recall having experimented before.
It is like if the enjoyment valve in your brain gets opened a couple of turns.
I don't know the scientific explanation for this phenomenon, but that is what happens. Probably, your brain was too busy doing thousands of micro-corrections before. I guess!

Needless to say, this magic will only happen if the pilot is already able to fly beautiful ''without'' a gyro. Otherwise it will be a waste of money; because if any, the gyro will just retard the learning process, while in addition, introducing another component whose behavior under some critical circumstances remains a dark mystery as has been demonstrated throughout this thread. Your probabilities of putting yourself under those critical circumstances should be minimal before the decision of using a gyro.

Regards,
Jack
Ha Jack I have been flying my F100 Bandit and P80 with Aileron and nose gear gyros for years. Love it. I also landed a P80 with one flap down because the servo quit and felt the gyro bought me time to control the ailerons. I use my gear channel are as a control to reduce rate at high speed. See you after Kentucky Jets. Dan