RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blueprints to wood
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Blueprints to wood

Here's my way when I build from plans, everybody winds up with their preferred method:

I trace the parts onto tracing paper, and then cut them out. I'll then either make thin aluminum templates or wood templates if I have to make a bunch of the same part. If you're making several of the same part, you can stack the pieces of wood together and glue the paper part and then use a bandsaw or good scroll saw to cut them out. Sand to final outline by hand or on a belt/disc sander.

To glue the parts together, use 3M's #75 repositionable spray adhesive. This is also used to stick the paper down onto the wood so that you can cut out the part. Naphtha will remove the adhesive when you're done. Naphtha is available as either Coleman fuel or Ronson lighter fluid. Either will do the job.

Check the parts against the plans. When building, make sure everything lines up. Many times, fuselage bulkheads will not be quite symmetrical in older hand-drawn plans. You'll need to measure and add/subtract shims to get the outlines perfect. It's all a bit of the "cut, fit, and swear" method for building the model.

The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the process.