RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sport Twin Pics
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sport Twin Pics

Here's a canard twin designed by my buddy Carl "Flaps" Laffert. We used Magnum .30 4-strokes and they didn't run reliably enough to make flying fun.

Next is my Outsider, a modified Goldberg Tiger 2, designed to test out thrust on the engines to counter the yaw from an engine out. Two OS .46AXs. Weighed 8.5 lbs. After a couple of trim and familiarization flights, I began the test. I filled one tank full and the other 1/3-1/2 full. I took off and flew around doing maneuvers. My feeling was that is you shut one engine down, you know when it's coming and can get ready with the rudder correction. My way, I never knew when the engine would quit. I did try both engines this way and the out thrust works great. Virtually no yaw with a dead engine. One photo has me landing with an engine out.

If you are curious, I used 8 degrees of out thrust on each engine (give or take a little). If you do the math, the cosine of 8 deg. is .99027, which means you are losing less than 1% of your forward thrust with 8 deg. out thrust. People always asked if I lost a lot of speed from it and the answer is "No." You also get enough side thrust to counter the yaw.

I'll say now before I add more pictures that Flaps and I built 25 twins before we ran out of gas doing them and went to seaplanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77974.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1626013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29302.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1626014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81255.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	14.5 KB