RCU Forums - View Single Post - My aquacraft paradise
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
a.bailey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My aquacraft paradise

I decided to start a thread for all of the mods I've made to my paradise.

The first thing I did was to enlarge the rudder. When I first sailed it I had a hard time keeping it from turning into the wind when I had a crosswind. I think that was partly due to my sail trims.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0804.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	2237095
The next thing I did was to make a jib boom extension. The jib seemed to have a lot more "arc" I guess you can say, in the jib sail. I machined the extension so I had plenty of adjustment.

Name:	SSPX0836.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2237096

Name:	SSPX0837.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2237097
I've finally got around to making a new keel weight. I took a steel pipe and cut it to length. I plugged one end and melted up some lead and filled the pipe. Once it cooled the lead contracted more than the preheated steel so I let it cool and I put it in the press and compressed the lead within the pipe to lock it in place. Then I put it in the lathe and turned it to it's final shape. Then it was time to mill out a slot which would recieve the keel. Once the machining was done I cleaned it up and epoxyed it onto the keel. A few coats of paint and clear coat and it was finally done.

Name:	img1308877432512.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	2237098

The finished keel weighs 26 ounces. "the stock one was 12.8oz" It didn't affect the draft too much, it sits about a quarter of an inch lower in the water.
Each modification has made it a little better and all of them combined has made a huge difference!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0md_f5Td4[/youtube]