RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

It's the jet with elevons Julian (Grumania Eurofighter).

That makes for interesting programming of the gyro. As elevators, the elevons require large travel, but when used as ailerons the travel is very small. The ACT gyro can be set to the travel limits so that its gain remains in proportion to the amount of travel whether large or small. But when I did that using the aileron travel as the limit, which seemed like a good idea since the gyro is on roll axis, it also limited the elevator signal being passed through the gyro, so elevator got the same max travel as aileron. Therefore I had to set the gyro limit back up to the elevator travel limit. Fortunately I spotted that issue before flying it! To get a small to medium gain on aileron then requires the gyro to be at its lowest possible setting, as its gain is working relative to the large elevator travel rather than the tiny aileron travel. Increasing the gain just slightly allows the gyro to drive the ailerons beyond the normal aileron control amount. It made it jolly sensitive to get the setting right, one click back of the slider and the gain turned off, 2 clicks further forward of the slider and the gain went high enough to set off its own rapid hunting in roll. It also means I have the fade out at max and want even more fade out, since again the gyro thinks that fade out should reach max at elevator size of travel and is seeing full aileron as just being a fraction of that so it only does a fraction of the fade out.

Harry