RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Which Aeroplane Gyros are best?

ORIGINAL: Couch Potato

Thanks for the explanation Harry.
Elevon control with a gyro sounds too complex with little benefit.
It's not complex, you just need to understand why it doesn't quite do what you thought it was going to do, and the benefit on this Typhoon is massive, I would not fly it without a gyro now. It handles fine without one, but the wobbling looks bad. The wobble also upsets turns, think about pulling a very tight turn with a lot of up elevator, as it wobbles in roll so the flightpath goes slightly up and down too. With the gyro holding the bank angle steady, I can hold on full up elevator in the tightest of turns and there is no wobbling flightpath. A rapid roll into a turn with no rudder to co-ordinate it can set off the yaw which starts the dutch roll. So you can be in level flight with no problems, but snap into a turn and the dutch roll sets off and you don't get a sharp stop in the roll in or out of the turn. Or roll in gently to try and avoid setting off the dutch roll but snap out of the turn and that sets it off again in level flight. Who wants to fly a Typhoon fighter gently? The gyro allows it to be snapped into the tightest of turns and just stay there without dutch rolling its way around the turn and then snap cleanly out of the turn, and thus the gyro has made it much more fun to fly.

The gyro has been so good that it has convinced me to build all future jets with the gyro in place and ready if it is needed, so every Weatronic Rx I have been buying recently has had the built in gyros.

I've not heard that you can't separate elevator and aileron on a delta, but it's not something I have paid much attention to.

H