RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 06-25-2011, 06:43 AM
hotrodblazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

n8622t,
You did not by chance weigh the major components before and after painting,did you?
I would guess that the painter sanded most of the old paint off before painting.
But I do know that custom paint plus clear does add weigh, and the more area you have it adds up.
I had a 92 inch Corsair which is the same basic wingspan with less fuse area than GeeBee, I sanded it , then added automotice base/clearkote and was shocked that it picked up so much weight, over four pounds,if I remember correctly.
I am be hopeful that yours picked no way close to that ,but would not be surprised if it did gain two or three.
The problem on a Gee Bee is that so much area is behind the CG, and on a plane with a gas twin,would complicate the tail-heavy condition that occurs upon balancing, But add that Moki radial,and there is your nose weight!
Bottom line is I am eager to find out what your final weight turns out to be.The norm, for a gas twin has been 33-35 lbs.
Since the radial adds a few, and the paint "could' add a few, I predict you may see 35-38 lbs, not to add to that "pucker factor", as it can still be flyable! .Jim,here on this thread had the black flamed GeeBee with a custom flamed paint job also and has hundreds of flights.
His was over 35 lbs with the smoke system and I remember a cowl pic with the cowl lip filled with lead to balance, so maybe the radial will just be perfect.
Go for it! Danny