RCU Forums - View Single Post - V tail setup?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: V tail setup?

ORIGINAL: stick man

Hmmm... well I do have quite a bit of throw dialed in, so I will take some out before the next try.

Also, the reason I went for it on a windy day is because when I tried to glide my Sonic 185 with no power, it was barely staying afloat in winds of @ 15-20mph. And it only weighs 2.1 lbs, whereas my Salto weighs @ 3.2lbs. So i figured it needed more wind. I guess I was wrong because the Salto seemed to be very efficient.
Oh, you are slope soaring. My earlier comments assumed you were flat field thermal soaring. Slope soaring is completely different although Ioften test slope gliders on flat fields using a hi-start.

How much wind is needed depends on four things things:

Angle of wind to the hill. 5 degrees off dead center makes a difference. 10 degrees off center may be unflyable.
height of the hill - Ihave sloped 4 foot dunes wtih light planes but the 75 foot cliffs are much better.
Angle of the hill - 70 degrees is much better than 45
Wing loading of the glider - 5 ounces/sq ft doesn't need as much wind as 15 oz/sq ftt wing loading.

At many of our hills you can slop soar an Easy Glider in 5 mph winds, if they are straight into the hill.

So what is the WL of your Sonic 185? What is the WL of the Salto?