RCU Forums - View Single Post - Never thought it could happen to ME !!
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Never thought it could happen to ME !!

ORIGINAL: Red Raider

Hi, John:
Glad you're sort of OK. Getting cut like that is a really scary injury and unfortunately for guys our age, is more difficult to deal with than it was when we were younger. Like you, I'm particularly careful when flying and never, well, rarely ever go flying alone. I've been flying for over 25years and have learned a lot about what and what not to do.

I've flown nearly every type of aircraft and consider myself to be an advanced pilot, but, I'm relatively new to gas engines. I'm just starting to learn to appreciate the simplicity, and economy of the newer, larger gas engines. The other day, I was at the field with my Super Decathalon powered by a CRRC 40Pro. The engine is still new with only about 1/2 a gallon through it. As I was taxiing out, I let the idle get a little slow and the engine died. Rather than push the plane back to the pits, I thought to myself, ''hey, this is a gas engine, I can just hand start it.'' (Previously this plane was flying with an OS 160 and I always used an electric starter.) So that's what I did. No tie down, no one out there to hold it, transmitter in one hand, prop in the other. I had inadvertantly pushed the throttle up about 25%. The engine started on the first flip and came at me with a vengeance. Being down on my knees I could have been seriously injured except that I was quick enough to get a hand on it and hold it back. Scared the hell out of me. I knew right then that I dodged a bullet. If that was not wake-up call enough, your story really puts the exclamation point to mine.

Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. And for those knuckle heads like me that on occasion do stupid things, we really thank you!!

Steve
I had a similar situation I got myself into last fall: starting my DLE55, I did not have my normal strap restraint, so I used my 5# weight bag around the gear. I normally put the throttle at half, flip with choke till it pops, then reduce to idle, open the choke, and flip away. Did all that, but didn't reduce throttle back to idle. She took off at half throttle, pivoted around the gear and tipped forward, shredding the prop. Missed me by inches! Scared the crap outta me; always restrain your bird properly was my lesson!