Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Downwind turn Myth

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Again you are referencing the ground. If you used exactly the same inputs the aircraft would react the same, no closer to stall, only the turn would be elongated in the direction of the wind.
So if I understand you correctly, in my example below, if I used the same inputs for turn two, the bottom senario is roughly what the turn should look like?

If you make a normal 90 deg turn using the same bank angle and throttle settings and maintain altitude you will not stall but you will have a pattern that looks like this. While it looks like more than a 90 deg turn on the up wind turns and less than 90 on the down wind this is just your ground track, the actual headings will be true right angles.
Ok, for clarification of my question, ground track is all that an Rc pilot is concerned with. So I still don't have an answer. I'll ask again: If I force the ground track to look identical in my two examples below, what will happen to my airspeed in turn two of the bottom example as compared to the top?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25535.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1629896