RCU Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn Myth
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Moerig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Downwind turn Myth

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

You are right to make it look the same YOU will loose airspeed due to the higher G load. It is not the wind causing it it is your desire to MAKE the turn look a certain way. Part of being a good pilot is knowing your planes, and your own, limitations. If, in your desire to make your ground track look perfect, you stall/crash you have nothing and no one to blame but yourself. Not the wind, not inertia, not gremlins.
Finally, we get all the posturing and condecention out of the way and get down to the point! Different perceptions of the same facts! Yes, I totaly understand that for a pilot who does not care about his ground track, a turn down wind is no different than any other. But, for a pilot who is concerned with nothing else but his ground track, crashing in a down wind turn is not a myth!

Thanks for helping me articulate what I have been struggling with. If this does not clear it up for everyone else who has berated and belittled those who didn't percieve the argument the same way , then my Cub is waiting and the offer for dinner still stands. cfircav8r, should you ever make it down my way, your dinner is waiting for having patience with me thru this discussion instead of trying to bully me into submission ![img][/img]
Yes you are right from that point of view, but the argument is about something else. The pilot obsessed with a ground track for whatever reason (aerobatic pattern being judged for example) would have to do a lot more work to maintain track. Many years ago when flying F3A and you were judged on wing level and ground track we did horrible turns with constant bank angle but with rudder co-ordinated to maintain the illusion of wind not affecting you. If you did not watch airspeed the downwind turn WOULD get you for sure (or loop whatever). many pilots managed this well without understanding the physics/aerodynamics involved hence the myth is born "the wind pushed the plane".
Wind does not affect airplanes ONLY pilots.
Hope we all agree now.