RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Thanks, Ernie. That reminds me a lot of the plane that I remember. The detail on the canard is a little fuzzy, but I think that's the plane... No matter what I did to google it up, I just couldn't find that configuration. Thanks!!

Bob
My pleasure, Sir. I figured it was the right plane. It was pretty much the only German pusher of the era that fit. How about another clue for the evening? Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What WWII aircraft do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Really, really, fast for a propeller driven aircraft.

(2) Only two prototypes were completed. Testing results were so impressive, with such exceptional performance, an order was placed for 100 production aircraft.

(3) The order was cancelled, because it was felt other types of aircraft were needed more.

(4) This aircraft was to be an interceptor; and it was decided priority must be given to longer range fighters.

(5) Power, a lot of it, was delivered by an experimental liquid cooled radial engine.

(6) The first prototype flew for the first time in early 1944. The second prototype flew in mid 1944.

(7) The second prototype used a contra-rotating propeller.

(8) A new generation of turbojet powered interceptors was on the horizon by the end of WWII, so this promising new interceptor was relegated to the scrapheap.

(9) The engine produced over 3,000 HP, and weighed nearly two tons.