RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do I need a larger capacity battery for my Rx.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:38 AM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I need a larger capacity battery for my Rx.

ORIGINAL: karolh

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

karolh, all Futaba receivers are specified to work on 4.8 volts. That's four healthy NiCads. In fact, they will even work down to 3.3 volts.
It is actually a bit lower than that. They will simply shut off at 2.8 volts. At 3.3 you will still have a nice solid green LED. Your servos may not move, but the RX is still working.

That is why the battery fail safe activates at 3.8 volts. The rumors you have heard about brown outs, lock outs and any other kind of ''outs'' do not apply to Futaba receivers on 2.4Gig, 72Meg, 50Meg and the other frequencies they use for world wide sales. If you stick with Futaba receivers, the best thing you can do is use a four cell pack of NiCads. Dan.

I agree with all of this except the very last sentence. While a 4-cell NiXX pack is certainly adequate I would not say it is ''the best''.
Just before I put this topic to rest, is there any disadvantage or down side from using 6.0 volts.

Karol
Yes, higher operating temp for servo and rx, higher servo speed and higher power draw. A fully charge NiXx is higher than rated voltage. It's only when battery is at full charge. For regulated 6V, it's fine...