RCU Forums - View Single Post - Deezil model Engines (again)
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Diesel Die-hard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deezil model Engines (again)

Rings in diesels are always a bit problematic. A far better fix is simply to make a new piston. I did that with one of my original Deezils after first lapping the cylinder to get a better finish. Of course, I also made a new contra piston, rod and shaft as well as usinga steel wrist pin. The resulting engine looks exactly like the original on the outside and is exactly to original spec. It starts and runs beautifully. This was actually quitea good desogn by the standards of its day - too badit wasn't properl;y executed!

The one that I justacquired is actually pretty good all round. I haveno doubt at all that it would run. It has a well-made and accurately-fitted one-piece shaft along with a wrist pin which ismade of bronze andis pressed into the piston bosses - far stronger thanthe usual floating brass component.It also has quite good compression both top and bottom. The one problemis that it retains the brass con-rod, which is a highly unsuitable material for a diesel rod. For that reason, I probably won't run it even though I'm sure that it would start up just fine.

Wish I knew how to insert images into these posts!