RCU Forums - View Single Post - Program a landing mode
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Program a landing mode

ORIGINAL: telejojo

I have a 12FG and would like to program a mode where I can flip a switch and both air. and elev. go up to stop quick on landing I've seen it but have not tried it so I was asking to try to save a little time in programing,thanks................
Telejojo,

I have a PulseXT (tail dragger) that landed hot, and tended to bounce on landings.

So I programmed in a couple of mixes on the 12FG as follows:

1) Once on final approach, I flip a switch and the ailerons SLOWLY drop to a preset condition (maybe 20 degrees). I know, some guys like to do the slider thing and manually do it. I delegated this to the 12FG. This allows me to reduce speed without falling out of the sky.

2) After I touch down, I flip the momentary switch (upper back right) and two things happen. First, the ailerons go full up, and about a half second later, the elevator goes full up. I wanted a delay on the elevator to give the plane time to bleed off speed. Up elevator obviously glues the tailwheel to the ground.

3) After about 5 seconds, I release the momentary switch, and the ailerons and elevator SLOWLY go back to the normal position.

Now I have no-bounce landings in very little distance. Control surface motion takes on a realistic appearance as well.

Also, I have an alternate mode that does the same thing - except instead of hitting the momentary switch, the process activates when the throttle is at the zero position. So, when I land I bring the throttle all the way down (but engine still running) and the aileron / elevators go through their normal sequence.

*** PM me if you want the details, as I may lose track of this thread ***

I've logged a LOT of hours programming the 12FG, and dare say that I'm pretty comfortable with it's operation. Coming from a 9CAPS (and prior to that, a Super 7UAP), it was a bit of a shock. But this REALLY is a different class of radio. Wait until you get into "Virtual Channels". Oh, and did you know the 12FG is capable of executing a sequence of commands with a single switch? You won't find that it the manual - and doing this at a competition is against the rules... but it IS pretty nice to be able to flip one switch and see the ailerons, elevator, and rudder move in a particular timed sequence to execute a decent 3 second roll.

r/s... Roger