RCU Forums - View Single Post - EF-1 at Nats
Thread: EF-1 at Nats
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Larry F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF-1 at Nats

Hello,
I am disappointed there has not been a detailed write up about EF-1 at the Nats. I was out with a friend who was flying stunt and came over to follow the happenings of the EF-1 the week of pylon. I have to admit there were a lot more planes there than I thought there would however there is a lot of information that was not posted and it should be

Planes - ready to fly planes were given out to over 18 pilots to pump up the numbers of the entries
Performance - All but 3 designs fly poorly as a pylon airplane, they fall through the turns. Most promising, a Proud Bird by Jim Allen, A new Shoestring coming out buy Horizon and a Thunder Chicken I think from Jerry Small

Speed- These planes are flat out slow!!!

I have flown electrics for over 15 years and these guys who created the events have great intensions but just don’t get it. They should have drawn on some real experienced electric people when this event was thought up. It shows great promise but they need to fix it quick or it will die away fast. Heck they can't even fly the short course, they had to make it even shorter and when the wind changed direction at the Nats, had to stop turn the course around. I have never seen that in all the years I flew pylon going all the way back to 15 QM

I have two EF-1's and this is the set-up I fly and the performance is in the 125mph range on the 424 short course, similar to the 424 speeds

5s3000 40c Zippy Flitemax batteries
EFlite 25 870 KPV motor
Castle 85 ICE
APC 9x9 E prop

Larry