RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Extra 300S resurrection
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Andrewmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Extra 300S resurrection

When the parts for the fuselage arrived from Great Planes (10 days - half way across the world. Thank you Mary Ann at Hobby Services, Great Planes), I got cracking on the basic build. Laid out the fuz floor then added formers 6 and 7. Then using a spray bottle of water wetted the fuz sides (in turn) and going a little bit at at time using thin CA and kicker joined the fuselage sides to formers 6 and 7.

With that difficult part done then proceeded to add the balance of the formers and the fuselage floor. After I finished that I was not overly impressed with the fit of the tab locking parts around former 8, 9 and 10. And funnt enough when I went back and re read my original build thread the same thing had occured. i could have kicked myself for not re-rading the original thread first and repeating the same "mistake" again. For those about to embark on this build take a bit of time arund the last three formers and sand a bit to get a good fit before glueing - this makes a difference when fitting the wing saddle components.

I salvaged the undercarriage supports from the crash and remade a stiffener to fit in between them to strengthen the structure. This time (Having read my original thread) I installed these parts before adding the engine box components - much easier . Photo 1 and 2

Also using the experience from the first build I cut back former 6 fuel tank support to accomodate the inverted saito 125. Final position 6mm off fuselage bottom (at the firewall end) and then used scrap ply to make a support at the other end of the tank floor. again easy 2nd time around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24606.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1635536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87634.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1635537