RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Extra 300S resurrection
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Andrewmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Extra 300S resurrection

I had the original one set up with dual elevator servos rear mounted - having done it that way I am not sure how much value it added so I am doing this one as per design with a single centre mounted servo, for comparison.

I installed a pull pull rudder which I really liked and will refit. Other than that the plane was pretty much stock. A mod here or there to suit the specifics of the engine choice and that was about it. Oh and I added 1" to the bottom of the rudder, again not sure how much value this adds but the rudder was undamaged and I have refitted it. Don't think I would bother with that if I had to do it over.

The flight characteristics were great. Did not get pushed around in the wind, stall turnswere easy and impressive, roll rate good (standard aileron) if I recall about 4 rolls in 3 seconds. It does a reasonable knife edge albeit with a significant belly tuck - but 5% rudder to elevator mix improved that. i did not push the 3D envelope but IMAC type manoevers were all within the planes capabilities restricted only by the pilot.

The stock landing gear gets bent out of shape fairly easily. I noticed one wing dipping a little on take-off and found the landing gear to be bent but I do not recall any rough landings!

Generally I think if you build this plan stock it will be fantastic, keep the weight down and it will be superb.

Hi Rick - glad you are still looking in. Have you got around to getting yours on the board yet?