RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reputable R/C brands and models? ? ?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Reputable R/C brands and models? ? ?

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Did I read this wrong or did the OP want a NITRO vehicle as opposed to electric? Foxy, while I agree with you about the Ten T, I really don't think a MERV is the right vehicle either, seeing how it is an ''electric'' vehicle and the OP wants a nitro car. OFNA cars are great, but no where near as easy to get parts for as with the Traxxas products. Basically what is happening here is that we are giving the OP advice on products he didn't ask for. I admit maybe I should not have mentioned the Ten T, but he did mention truggys and the Nitro Sport is EXACTLY what he is asking for. The Nitro Rustler was the second nitro car I had (the first being a Nitro 4-Tec) and I never broke anything on it but I did eventually wear out the engine. I know that many on these boards NEVER recommend a nitro RC vehicle as a first RC car for a beginner; I don't particularly agree with that. Having had extensive experience with nitro cars back in the day (2 Nitro 4-Tecs, Nitro Rustler, T-Maxx, Duratrax Nitro Quake and a friend's HORRIBLE HPI RS4) I can honestly tell you that a Nitro Sport is quite suitable for a beginner. I know he asked for other suggestions, but suggesting an Electrix vehicle will probably put him off the hobby since those things are really slow; they are good beginner cars though. Let's give him advice on what he asked for.
No, you didn't read wrong, you just stopped reading too soon.

ORIGINAL: SPL2Alan
No, it does not have to be 1/8 scale. I guess nitro is not a requirement either...

If there are electric models that fit the bill better for beginner than nitro, that's fine too I guess. . .
I don't honestly think nitro anything is a good idea for a 6yo. Glow plugs, fuel, high temperatures, high speed, high maintenance, high downtime... If it was a highly experienced hobbyist teaching his kid, that would be one thing, but it doesn't sound like dad (no offence Alan) is that experienced either. I stand by my recommendation. Batteries for the merv are cheap, last long and charge fast (with minor investment in a decent charger), and when he gets more experienced or dad wants to play, he can add another battery and go nuts (dual batt). I don't think there's anything better for what his needs are. Unless he decides he really wants to go through nitro with a very young lad, then that changes everything, but as he said, it doesn't have to be nitro.