RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIMLA BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIMLA BUILD THREAD

I've already had a few nice comments about the building table. Kevin Clark has one, and I was able to talk him and his father into building me one, (for a price and some goodies). Let me answer some of the specific questions received thus far.

The table...(see the attachment below) A nice feature of the table is that the top can be lifted off and transported, and the rest of the table disassembled and reassembled elsewhere should it be necessary. The table is build of plywood. It is covered with a 4X8 piece of sheetmetal. Due to the fact it's not marine plywood, there is a small amout of natural "bowing" in places, so you need to go all over the structure with a level. Small shims are required here and there under the metal to get the building surface itself as absolutely level as possible, but once it's done, you're ready to go.

The ply upright pieces were made by Kevin in different heights. They are held in place on the sheetmetal by four magnets bolted to the plywood...very nice, and works great. They will not go anywhere unless you lift them off.

The magnets were obtained at http://www.magnetsource.com/airfieldmodels/ They are easy to chip, and are protected by the metal sandwich. They are also fun to play with if you're bored.

The wing tube is indeed a 1 inch tube, (outside diameter). I don't have the source, but I will find out and post. Maybe Kevin will answer that one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64226.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1640510