RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie ignition question
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM
scott17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie ignition question

I wanted to try a gas engine (I have a ton of glow) and got a SV 17 for cheap. I soon found out why. After a complete teardown and rebuild including 2 helicoils, re tapping holes for an ignition pickup that was at 48 degrees from the factory and machining spacers to locate the top rod bearing so it wouldn't slide halfway out of the rod at will and cleaning a lot of swarf out of the engine, it was finally ready to be started for the first time! Anyhoo... it ran fairly well after some break in and I mounted it on a 60-sized Rookie and flew it for a bit. It was no powerhouse for sure, but ran well enough for easy sport use. I had a snap switch stick on my radio and spaced out and gently pancaked it in. Loosened the firewall, broke the prop, and put a big nick in the plug wire. Now it leaks all the spark out the nick to the shielding. It doesn't appear that the wire is removable, so I figure I need a new ignition. It looks strikingly similar to the ignition that comes on a DLE 30 and possibly many others. Where could I get a new one (for cheep if possible) or can it be repaired? I have since fixed the plane and put on a Saito 90TS twin that will probably put out the same amount of power as the 17 but I want to fix the little engine to possibly sell.