RCU Forums - View Single Post - West Systems epoxy
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: West Systems epoxy

I took photos yesterday but it was pretty much only step two. I will be taking photos and do a HOW TO thread in a few weeks. I can't do any more to it right now, lot of people flowing into town for a big wedding and party this week. Should start pulling in any minute.
Step one: give your sanded plane two coats of the Deft Sanding Sealer then use fine sand paper to block sand your plane. It will be smooth as silk. Step two: lay your glass onto the wood and just paint the Deft over the glass and work out all the wrinkles if you get any. I get almost none, I brush a samll area at the top and the Deft sticks the glass to the wood so I then start painting it the other direction. From then on you just give everything another coat of Deft. When dry you can sand off the over lap edges then give it another coat. After three coats it's up to you if you need more coats. depends on what weight glass you used. I like 1/2 and 3/4 ounce cloth. Now just do the other side the same way. Final coat I mix a 50/50 blend of Deft and Talc or baby powder. It's just there to fill any weave you may have. When dry just sand almost all of the final coat off. You can prime to paint if you like. I usually use Klass kote paint and it doesn't require any prime over the Deft. When I'm finished glassing I will be able to tell you how much weight wass added with the glassing. Bone dry my plane came in at 6 pounds. It's a 1/4 scale 80 inch Sukhoi and the low weight was a very big surprise even to me. I hope to get this one to come out at 12 pounds when finished or close to it.
Cool, I heard a car door close!!!!!!!!!! Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!