RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aquacraft Paradise - modifications
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
BrentP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Paradise - modifications

Hi, I bought this boat 4 yrs ago when I was getting into rc planes. I have lots of rc experience but no sailing. I sailed it 4 yrs ago and it wasn't bad but I have nothing to compare to (1st sail boat, 1st time sailing).

I saw this thread recently and am trying some mods to have a go again.

My boat from factory had the rudder cocked to one side (that's how I sailed it BTW) so I cut part off the plastic insert and glued in a chunk of brass to sraighten up the rudder.

I made the rudder larger. I cut out 2 rudder shapes out of sheet brass, slightly curved them around the original rudder (one on one side one on the other), then I joined the 2 brass pieces together by soldering just the edges on 3 sides leaving a hole at the top. Then I pressed the original rudder in between the pieces sandwiching it in. Then I epoxied the gaps at the top.

I do not want to mess with melting lead etc. so I srewed on an 8oz fishing weight to the bottom, hope this will be ok?

I will run it with my old radio, a DX 6 and ar6000 rx.

I want to run a 3s 1000mah and I already have it set up with a UBEC to step the power done to 6 volts.

Can anyone tell me a guess on how much sailing time I can get off the 3s 1000 25c?

I realize this is not a very good boat by other readings and such, but I have it, I paid a lot for it and I may as well give it a go to see if I enjoy sailing as much as I do flying.

Any tips are welcome to a noob sailor, but I don't want to put any money into it, just see if I like sailing and then move on to a better craft.

Cheers

Brent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14867.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	1641620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17487.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1641621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18140.jpg