RCU Forums - View Single Post - F3A World Scores
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F3A World Scores

ORIGINAL: TimBle

amazing no petrol engines yet.
There are no easily obtainable gas engines that are light enough for the required power or that have the necessary power shape, or that are quiet enough to match the other powerplants right now. We need all of these...........

I've been working on a DLE55 2 stroke on pipe and I have the overall weight very close to that of a good electric set-up, including soft mount and stand offs. The power curve needs to be ascertained; don't have data yet on how a 20x14 runs in the air. Overall power is no problem, pushing 6HP (4500 watts). Some aftermuffler design will need to be developed to get noise down to 86-88 dB where the other plants are functioning.

On the other hand, OS tried it with their 55 cc and to me, it worked okay for sport. But apparently no pattern competitor has used it in Pattern.... There was a large Pattern model that housed the engine (Japan) but have not heard much about that experiment.

Been trying to convince Todd Syssa to build a 55 cc similar to his 30cc, but not successful so far. If I can get a DLE55 to lose about 4 1/2 ounces (down to 43 ozs) with minimal effort, an engine purposely designed from the start should come in at less than 40 ozs. Power curve shape is the key....we need mid range grunt and flawless carb response. Noise still needs to be dealt with.