mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Build my own Jet Radio

Hi All,

I check with FCC PART 15 Section 15.23

and they said that

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale

Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with
no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such
transmitters for their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment
authorization. If possible, these transmitters should be tested for compliance with the
Commission's rules. If such testing is not practicable, their designers and builders are
required to employ good engineering practices in order to ensure compliance with the
Part 15 standards."

I am converting my old radios with these CE approved equipment and for personal use. I am OK to "construct and operate up to five such TX for their own personal use without having to obtain FCC Equipment authorization."

Further, the power requirement must be under 1 Watt as said here
"
2.4-2.435 GHz Spread Spectrum Transmitters 1 Watt
Output Power
Section 15.247"

The 2 antenna of 100mw each has a combined output of 100mw x 2 (2 independent antenna system) so it's still classified as having 100mv or less output per antenna, well below the maximum of 1 Watt requirement.

Since their products are already CE approved, I don't have to worry about the clause "If possible, these transmitters should be tested for compliance with the
Commission's rules. If such testing is not practicable, their designers and builders are
required to employ good engineering practices in order to ensure compliance with the
Part 15 standards." The CE approval process is very similar and as strict as FCC rules. I have read ACT website for their CE approval.

OK, I can proceed with my project of converting my TX with these ACT accessories for personal use without violation of FCC rules or AMA safety code. I am sure eventually the factory will apply for FCC approval before they start marketing their radio system in the USA market. I checked the application procedure. It's not as difficult as we expected. Well, it's a lot simpler than FDA that I have to deal with in my other profession.

I will go ahead and start installation of these Rx in my jets. Will be back with more progress update. I am sure a lot of guys out there are more interested in knowing more about the installation instead of all the regulation requirements. Well, at least I cleared the regulatory issues for now.

Mike