RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lost A Wheel in Mid air. How Do you Land?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Lost A Wheel in Mid air. How Do you Land?

I've seen this happen many times - knock wood never had it happen to me. Some, like a quarter scale biplane, were astonishing feats of skill. The drill is to come in a tad slower than normal and use the aileron to roll the wheelless side slightly higher than the remaining wheel. Watched a guy drop a wheel on a Quickie 500 during the race, finish, and then land on one wheel with only a few degrees of yaw when it finally stopped. Impressive.

Your case - peeling gear - Ihave experienced. Ithought Iwould be clever and use four 4-40 Nylon screws to hold the gear on my Hot Stik. Icame in hot one day (actually, Iscrewed up and hit the CROWswitch at speed and did a right angle down followed by a almost save at ground level. The model skidded in, stripped the gear off, like yours tore up the wing covering on one side, and spun it up into the horizontal stab and tore one side off and the servo arms (4) caught in the turf and three needed new internal gearing. It's been in the rebuild pile for over a year.

What can be done? Don't hit the ground so hard. Also, Idecided Nylon gear bolts may not have saved me much - though that pancake was going to hurt no matter what.