RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 .60 P-51 with DLE20.
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 .60 P-51 with DLE20.

Thanks for the feedback Ed.
Yeah, I had read how some have had issues with stalling etc on this plane in the thread I put a link too above. And as you say, I am a heli pilot first, so the reflexes etc and ability to fly the tail have become instinctive by default. The (overpowered) trainer I have is just to get the basic feel of a plane down pat re how it actually moves in the air, as to say flying the trainer is a piece of cake after the helis would be a huge understatement. That fact became apparent after the 1st flight I ever had on it.
After reading how the recommended elevator throws are a little high, I'm going to set my rates in accordance with that when I get around to setting it up. As for slow speed stalling on landing, I get the feeling I'll just have to get used to flying this one right down to the runway to negate that as much as possible.
While there are a lot of negative comments re those traits, there are still a lot of folk really enjoying their H9 Blue Nose, so I'll try to remain optimistic as to it's abilities, and also take my time setting it up to ensure EVERYTHING is 100% (managed it with the heli I guess), then keep the warnings in the back of my mind, and treat her with a LOT of respect down the line when I finally get it airborne - least she'll be powered well with that DLE20 under the hood!

PS - the optimism I have (and hopefully not blind arrogance) comes from the fact people told me you can never learn to fly a heli (from scratch with no sim) on a 450 sized collective pitch heli .... after setting a steady plan in place to get myself comfortable and to a good place, I managed that one OK. Now I'm hoping that with the experienced and understanding I have gained over the last 18 months, that I should be able to pull this off with a little assistance from the more experienced guys at the local club I have since joined which I didn't have access to previously - well that and I have since got Phoenix, so will spend time working on that re stalling recovery, landing in tricky situations etc to get as comfortable as possible before I hit the skies with the real deal (not including getting these skills down pat on the trainer I have when I get to the flying field).
As for me and my mind set, success in this hobby comes down to preparation, practice, planning, with a little more preparation, practice and planning added for good measure.