RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.

I started with a 6channel and still use it. the pros to this are the low cost to get started(I started with 72), they are fairly easy to navigate to set up, and they keep complications to a minimum. I am into Warbirds and a 6ch radio just dont lend themselves to alot of features that warbirds have so thats a downside. My dad bought a Futaba 9ch and said "this is more radio than I will ever need." two years later, he needs more radio for what he is doing. Keep in mind where you think you may want to go and if the budget allows.. get bigger than you think you want, I don't know anyone that has regretted getting a bigger radio than they may have initially needed. It opens up the doors for other things later! I also personally prefer to see guys build their first trainer from a kit to get familiar with working with the wood and also give the builder an opportunity to beef up certain areas of the airframe to withstand less than perfect landings and deadsticks out into the bushes. My trainer is in great condition because I reinforced areas of concern in regards to bulkheads and the landing gear mounts for both the mains and tail. I also pegged my firewall and it has taken some pretty harsh knocks.