RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
rciraldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF

My pics of the plane look like all the others you see on this thread...ones with the Robart strut in the nose. Re the electric setup: Hacker A-50 outrunner motor.....Castle 100 amp ICE speed controller....two 4 cell 5000 MAH Turnigy Nano Tech batteries hooked up in series (8 cell voltage)....16x10 APC prop. The plane has lots of power (about 140 watts per lb). With this battry setup, the battery for the lights needs to be placed aft for proper balance. I had to do major cutting and sanding in the battery compartment for these batts to fit. They both lie on a velcro pad and are secure that way for flight....no straps, etc....get good cooling airflow from the cowl, through the firewall. I cannot see how the recommended power setup of 5 cells would fly this plane....you might shed about 16 oz in battery weight but the power would be less. An issue with this plane is the ground clearance....you need at least a 15" prop for proper power in most electric setups......I guess a 3 blade prop would be cool and scale looking and give more clearance....but you have to go thru the whole custom spinner routine.

Mine is fine the way it is....as I said, the only real issue is the way the struts attach. I plan to permanently epoxy protruding threaded studs in the wing and fuse.....these will fit through the struts....I will secure with nylon or metal wing nuts. Will be easier to set up at the field. Am still wondering if the struts are really needed for flight...are they functional or cosmetic? Wonder if this big one piece wing is well built inside.