RCU Forums - View Single Post - Savage half tank EXTREME lean problem.
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Savage half tank EXTREME lean problem.

Airplane fuel has bucketloads of oil in it, sometimes up to 20%. On top of that, a good half that is usually castor. Then, they tend to run lower nitro %, my OS 46AX is rated 10-20% nitro whereas my 18 CV-RX is rated 20-30%. Lastly, a lot of plane guys run 0% or 5% nitro to save money. When you run FAI fuel you require a hotter plug to keep it lit, so an engine that detonated on 10% nitro purrs like a kitten on FAI or 5%.

So yeah, they're much less prone to detonating, and the extra oil pulls the heat away from the engine internals. The glow plug may read a higher temp, but they don't mind it at all.

It's also worth noting the constant flow of fan-fed air that helps keep them cool. Cowled engines will run hot if not baffled properly, but in one that's exposed, like in my NexSTAR, it's nigh impossible to overheat it provided it's tuned properly and not leaking air. If it gets hot just crack the throttle open

As for running aircraft fuel in our cars, while they will run, they'll be down on power and they will make a royal mess. I'd only advise it if you absolutely need to flood that much oil through, as for example someone living in the desert or someone who needs to get every last revolution of useful life out of their engine due to financial restraints. I would also advise it to anyone running a four stroke, as these are always a converted aircraft engine and require the extra lube.
ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I just figured out how to mount it horizontally, it just needs longer fuel lines. Thanks 378, you are helpful as always.

-I'm probably up to owing you, what, 2 or 3 gallons of glow by now ?
Hahahaha, perhaps. I lost count myself.
The 8ight 2.0 runs awesome btw.

Excellent. It will continue to do so for a while yet, as well.