Thread: RCGF Engines
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Any predetermined carb settings are only going to be good for some assurance the engine will start and run when set to them. They MAY be close to optimum - but please be assured there is no guarantee the engine will be running at optimum using them! Either one or both could run much better 1/4 to 1/2 turn, richer or leaner, from the predetermined...

They are meant as a starting point, meaning that if the engine won't start/run on them, there's something else going on. That's it. There are WAY to many variables to account for that use these adjustments to compensate.
Amen. I often wonder even why people ask. Each motor is different.
The reason I asked was because I had moved the needles around so much, I needed a starting point to start over. I'm pretty good at tuning glow engines but this is the 1st gas engine I have owned. Just doesn't seem to peak like a glow one. I do realize that each engine is different but if you have a starting point it makes it easier to fine tune. Like most glow engines they will tell you to start with the HSN out two turns. Then go from there.