RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
jquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

I don't know, in the lakes I was on, the bottom was just muck. You could stick a canoe paddle 1 foot into it or more. The pond temps were not bad, but I would never go out on them. I used an old muskie rod with a floating ball and coat hanger pieces to make a grappling hook. Then put some foam around the hooks. I could usually retrieve the boat from 15-30 yards out. If it died further out, had to wait for it to drift closer. Or got out the electric boat and put a foam "cow catcher" on the front. Basically a "U" shape to catch the boat and get it close. I had an K&B 3.5 OB on it so the grappling hook usually caught it.

There was a story of a girl who jumped off a dock in one of these ponds and she never came up. Got her feet stuck in the same muck, and drowned. I guess what I am saying is have a retrieval plan, and that better not be getting in the water. Heck, put an electric motor or pump to propel the boat if the gas engine quits. Not worth getting hurt or killed for.