RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cataracts and Color Shift
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cataracts and Color Shift

Bob,
Cataract surgery is now pretty matter-of-fact. When I had my first one done in 2005, I flew the next day. My second eye took longer for the cataract to form, but I told my opthmalogist to keep a close watch. It really started affecting my flying last year, and I had the second one done in January. Huge difference in my flying this year. Major medical covers most of it in most cases. Find a good opthamalogist, one who does them routinely. Mine did 7 in a row the day I had mine done. The actual operation only takes about 10 minutes, the rest of the time is prep. I was conscious throughout, with a mild sedative.

I will say that I am now using different and darker sunglasses tints than I was before. However uncorrected vision is far better (around 20/30) ( I was severely nearsighted), and corrected vision is like night and day from what it was.

A friend had cataracts like yours, and he said it was like a yellow/green veil was lifted after his surgery. He simply could not believe the difference in everyday life and his flying.

Run, don't walk, to your opthamalogist!