RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

On breaking / running in.  When I visited the Saito factory in Japan during my Malaysian Airline period of employment I gained a very valuable bit of advice. 
They said that one should start the engine at the richest seting it would take (starting it at factory setting and richening was they way it was also explained) and run the engine at wide open throttle and increasing the engine speed gradually by leaning out.  This was for the first 10 oz of fuel.  (20% nitro 20% oil).  Successive runs were at leaner settings (they said the engine will tell you and it does) with runs (short) at max throttle setting (note no max rpm) for a couple of more tanks of fuel.  The engine should then be able to sustain transition without any problems.  Then go fly the engine while progressively leaning the engine to get the factory recommended rpm range etc. 
Points to note.  \1/ I accept that the LS needle is set correctly at the factory (unless proven otherwise)
2/ I accept that the HS neddle is set correctly and open it up from there

With rebuilds I set at factory setting prior to start up.
In all cases I note the start datum settings prior to any engine running.

I have found Saito engines more than any other are engines that react to feel and sound.  I use a Tachometer for all engine runs and power set ups and listen to and observe the engine if you are attentive it will talk to you just like a bit round P&W or an offenhauser