RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA Taube 40
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 03:27 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Balsa USA Taube 40

Jim:

The Coverite applies like ordinary film, and it is said to need no paint. Supposed to shrink similarly to film coverings.

Koverall is a polyester silk replacement. Application and finish is exactly the same, except the koverall has to go on dry, and it is shrunk with heat instead of using water.Koverite does have a "Grain," it shrinks more across the weave than with the length of the bolt.

My impression of Coverite, remember I've never used it, is that it has to be heavier than most films.

Koverall can be just slightly heavier than the heavier films, or it can go way up. It depends on how much dope you use. It can be finished acceptably in three coats, or you can keep painting and sanding for a longtime. depends on you.

Neither Coverite nor Koverall are too expensive. Get some of each and see how you like it on a test panel or two. Use 1/4 square balsa sticks to make some matching frames, match both size and weight, then use a different covering on each. Might even be able to get small bits from a local flier to try. I would strongly recommend the use of "Balsarite for Fabric" with the Coverite, or Stix-It, on the wood to ensure adhesion.

If you do the panels, weighing them bare and then covered, you'll have a real world example, notthe manufacturer's pipe dream, it would be good information for all of us to have, you'd get a big thank you at least from me.

Bill.